Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Summons


My morning scripture and meditation was from the Gospel of Mark, chapter three, verse thirteen – Jesus appoints the twelve.

Verse thirteen reads:

“He… summoned those He wanted, and they came to Him.”  

My heart-felt sentiment was, “How beautiful!”  He, Jesus, summoned those He wanted, and what did they do?  They came to Him.  

Jesus is constantly summoning each of us.  

By God’s grace, He is patient with us, and loves us more than we will ever know.  His Heart’s desire is to delight in us; to make each of us feel as if we are His favorite.  

As I pondered these beautiful words from the Gospel, the hymn The Summons, came to my mind.  When reading the words of this hymn, I found its relevancy for each of us.  

The Summons  - Lyrics:

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don’t know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown? Will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

Will you love the “you” you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you’ve found to reshape the world around,
Through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I’ll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I’ll move and live and grow in you and you in me..”

Again… beautiful.  He summoned, and they came to Him!  

On this beautiful feast of the Annunciation (and every day that follows), my sincere hope is for each of us to listen and respond with a joyful, “Yes!” to Jesus’ summons.

AMDG
+JMJ+

2 comments: